justin adler, blog, buenos aires, bahia blanca, university of arizona, brooklyn, basketball, travel, paul mcpherson

Friday, June 29, 2007

LOL, like Bush is awesome


I don't follow closely politics all that closely, I read the papers, I watch various news stations from time to time. But I do know enough to know that Bush is fucking up (c) Chappelle, or at least that's the general consensus among the mostly-liberal college-aged youth I am surrounded with. I know college kids who love Bush, but I know far more who are less than pleased with his eight years in office.

I say all that to say this...What the fuck is wrong with the UA softball team? How does a 40 person party based mainly of college students travel to the White House and not one them any has any negative feelings on what's going on in the world.

The girls had a very bright local spotlight on them and they had a chance to make any political statement they wanted and all we got was pitcher Taryne Mowatt saying Bush was "Really funny, actually."

I am not saying the girls needed to slap Bush in the face, but how awesome would it have been if just one of them refused to go to D.C. Or if one of them would have worn a black arm band or done anything besides say G.W. was totally hilarious.

I know there are millions of people out there who would have loved to have that much say in the media and make a national statement. The thing I don't understand is how not one person on the 2006 or 2007 Championship team which voyaged to D.C. didn't have any strong feelings. If I were to close my eyes and randomly grab 40 students off any college campus, I would bet at least one of them would hate Bush. Am I supposed to believe that not one of these girls has been personally affected by the war in Iraq and they are all completely fine with everything Bush is doing in office?

What do I know, maybe the key to winning back-to-back Championships is being completely oblivious to everything off the field.

0 comments: