justin adler, blog, buenos aires, bahia blanca, university of arizona, brooklyn, basketball, travel, paul mcpherson

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Allow me to elaborate


I really don't think the masses truly understood how good today's "What's in a name?" article was. Let me point out specifically why it could be the best article I ever wrote:

1. It mentioned Beanie Sigel. I really don't need to explain that one any further, but I will just in case there are some ignorant people out there who ain't up on Beans.
    • A. In September 2005, a jury acquitted him of charges that he nearly shot to death a man on a crowded city street two years prior.
    • B. In August, Sigel left federal prison after serving nearly a year on a federal weapons charge that stemmed from a 2002 traffic stop in the Illadelph.
    • C. Sigel also fell behind in child-support payments. He was briefly jailed in November until he paid $27,000 in child support and $2,000 in fines.
    • D. On the DJ Green Lantern-produced mixtape "Public Enemy No. 1," Beans spewed the family-friendly gem "The only thing worse than a snitch is a faggot, I hope all you fags get AIDS."
    • E. Beans rephrased his kind extension to the homosexual community when he said, "Eat a dick with AIDS on the tip, keep my name off your lips, not guilty" on the "B. Coming."
    • F. The Broad Street Bully was the lead actor in two of the greatest movies of all time, State Property and State Property II...which leads me to my next point.

2. I worked the movie State Property into the article, this was something I thought I would be unable to do so early in my journalism career. I surprised even myself with that move.

3. It says the word "sex" nine times in the article. If somehow The Arizona Daily Wildcat wound up at the neighboring middle school, little kids might snicker at this.

4. It has the line:
    • Sprinter Nikki Martin is called "Nik the Quick," while fellow senior Marquita Taylor has been dubbed "Marquita the leada."
Few will get this, but those who do...Oh they'll chuckle.
(Confession: the dub was actually added to the article by an editor, I wish I was that genius)

5. It also mentions Rick Ross, who in my eyes is a poor man's Freeway (who oddly enough both stole the name of the same drug kingpin), but still it never hurts to name drop a cocaine rapper.

0 comments: